Ecolodge deep in the Ecuadorian Amazon Rainforest
The Amazon Dolphin Lodge is a premier Ecolodge in Ecuador. Located in the Pañacocha protected forest reserve (56,000 has). The reserve is central to a biological corridor linking Yasuni National Park and the Cuyabeno Wildlife Refuge.
Thanks to its central location, guides, and multilingual staff, the eco-lodge offers a hands-on experience in the Ecuadorian jungle.
On a trip to the Amazon Dolphin Lodge, you will explore the plants, animals, and cultural diversity of the area and will have an unforgettable adventure in the Amazon Rainforest.
Pañacocha is classified as a Humid Tropical Forest. Wildlife is in abundance everywhere in the reserve.
A shortlist of possible observations includes; Howler, Squirrel, Capuchin, and night monkeys along with the Black-mantled Tamarin and Pygmy Marmosets, and of course the Amazon Pink River Dolphin.
The network of waterways that travel through the 56,000 hectares of primary rainforest is home to jaguars and ocelots, 9 species of monkeys, 500 species of birds, and much more.
The Panacocha Reserve and the Amazon River Dolphin
Important as it is in its own right, Panacocha achieves added significance as the corridor connecting 2 much larger areas, to the south, it is bordered by the Yasuni National Park and World Biosphere Park which is 982,000 hectares and to the north by the 600,000 hectares of the Cuyabeno Biological Reserve.
Nestled inside the Protected Forest is the Panacocha Lagoon. It is here that you can see the Amazon River Dolphin swimming each day. Visitors can enjoy swimming in the lagoon as well as the magic of bird watching as they float along the edges in dugout canoes
Connoisseur Amazon Tip:
The Amazon Dolphin Lodge is a great option for travelers looking to venture deep into the Amazon Rainforest. Its the best Ecolodge in Ecuador when it comes to wildlife and activities. You will have a more authentic Amazon experience when you make your way to the Pañacocha reserve.
Amazon Dolphin Lodge Accommodation
Accomodation and facilities :
- 11 multiple huts (single, double, triple and quadruple accommodations)
- All huts are built with local materials
- Electricity is provided from 6 pm to 10 pm (110 V.)
- Each hut is equipped with beds (all beds with mosquito nets), closet, and a private hammock
- Each bathroom is equipped with a sink, shower, toilet, toilet paper, soap, and towel
Social Areas and Service
- The restaurant, bar, and lounge area are located in the main building
- The kitchen staff offers a wide variety of healthy food.
- Vegetarian options are available
- You will have access to a safe box at the front desk
Amazon Dolphin Lodge Information
Amazon Dolphin Lodge Activities
- piranha fishing;
- night excursions
- blow gun’s practice
- Shamanic experience
- excursions in the forest
- races by pañayacu and Napo river
- nocturnal navigation looking caimans
- paddle canoes cruises around the lagoon
- excursions by paddle canoe around the river
- cruise the lagoon to observe the Amazon River Dolphin
- cultural activities visiting an indigenous Quichua’s family
- and so much more …
Amazon Dolphin Lodge – 4 days/3 nights
Day 1: Arrival to Lodge / El Coca- Amazon Dolphin Lodge
Arrival to El Coca by airplane from Quito. After the arrival, you take a boat through the Napo River to the Amazon Dolphin Lodge. During the trip, you will have a box lunch. Upon arrival, you will have dinner and then a night walk to spot insects, night rodents, and reptiles. You will also be able to listen to the fantastic night concert that the rainforest offers.
Day 2: Pañacocha
The day begins with a trip through the Pañacocha Lagoon on a canoe. You will be delighted with the amazing sounds coming from a variety of birds that exist in the rainforest will. Return to the lodge for breakfast. Trip on a canoe through the lagoon and walk through an exclusive path for the observation of islets formed by chontillas and anturios, in which the bird colonies nest. Lunch in the rainforest. In the afternoon you will go piranha fishing. Dinner and accommodation
Day 3: Pañacocha
After breakfast, you start a walk through the rainforest to observe medicinal plants used by the indigenous people that live in the surroundings. You will also have a chance to spot parrots, macaws, and toucans. During the afternoon the native guides will share their knowledge about the most used weapon in the Amazon Region, called Bodoquera or Cerbatana. After dinner, you will make a brief night trip in little boats called piraguas through the waters of Pañacocha River.
Day 4: Departure from the Lodge / Return to Quito
After breakfast, you return to El Coca to return to Quito or continue your trip elsewhere.
Additional Day 5:
Early in the morning, after breakfast, we will pad by the Panayacu river to the confluence of the Piguali River, crossing by innumerable swamps, rivers, and lagoons of the area.
(During the course of the day there will be plenty of opportunities to get a chance to observe the Pink Amazon River Dolphin.)
In the afternoon, after lunch, continue the trip by the Napo River to reach the Yarina Ecological Reserve. You will spend the night at Yarina Ecolodge. After dinner, you will go for a night canoe ride to the Sapococha Lagoon.
Amazon Dolphin Lodge 2020 Rates
- Programmed excursions
- Pure water for drinking
- Native guide
- English speaking guide
- Three meals per day during the tour
- Rubber boots up to size 43
Rates do not include:
- Bar bills
- Tips for the staff
- National Park Fees
- Personal jungle equipment
- Rubber boots (size 44 upwards)
- Transportation from and back to Quito
Access to Lodge
- The tour begins and finishes in the town of Coca.
- There is a direct flight from Quito to Coca for approximately $290 roundtrip – we can help with your flight reservation or provide information on which bus to catch.
Amazon Dolphin Lodge Packing List
- Comfortable and lightweight clothes
- Long pants
- Cotton shorts
- Long-sleeved T-shirts
- Rain gear
- Insect repellent
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Reading material
- Digital camera, vintage camera or cellphone for your wonderful pics
- Notepad or sketchbook for diary keeping or sketching
- A great attitude to enjoy this amazing place!